Eric P. Broughton
Mobile: 716-946-6368 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
GIS AND DATA ANALYTICS CONSULTING PROFESSIONAL
Seasoned GIS consultant with experience in market research, communications, real estate, advertising & maps.
Data Querying • Database Management • Trend Analysis • Statistical Analysis • Marketing Analytics Strategy
Reporting/Presentations • Inventory Management • Research • Map Building • Data Mining
Analyzing Marketing Effectiveness • Custom Maps • Map Imagery • Content for RFPs/RFQs
Member of the New York State GIS Society
TECHNOLOGY COMPETENCIES & PROGRAMMING/DATABASE LANGUAGES
- Data Ferret
- Google Earth
- MS Office Suite
- Remote Sensing
- R Programming
- SQL Assistant
- SQL Query Language
- Social Media Platforms
- Sites USA
Newmark Knight Frank – Buffalo, NY 2017 – 2019
NKF acquired the Multi-Family Appraisal & Valuation division of GAR Associates in March 2019
Research Associate – GIS Specialist
- Created custom maps and imagery used in real estate project development proposals for municipal approvals.
- Generate economic & market impact reports through data-driven research and aggregation platforms.
- Enter new markets through specialty practice group development and ongoing enhancement of research & reporting divisions. Evaluate tax credit, funding and grant opportunities.
- Provide ongoing data analysis, visualization and custom map imagery for multiple affordable and market-rate housing development projects for governmental entities, not-for-profits, management groups and lending institutions.
- Develop strategies and technical assistance to support team of appraisers working with multi-state clients.
- Track, understand and explain ongoing data updates and policies/procedures with the U.S. Census Bureau.
- Learn and maintain a database of state-level labor statistics.
- Present data and commentary to internal teams to track progress of project support, objectives, financial viability and responses to changes in the market.
- Accumulate market data and trends for both economic and community investments including demographics and rental housing markets’ availability and pricing.
- Develop and maintain databases for operating expenses, rental rates, market conditions, transactions and population shifts.
- Provide analysis of real estate trends including rental, for-sale, student, military, institutional and special-needs.
Cabela’s Inc. – Sidney, Nebraska 2007 – 2011
A direct marketer and specialty retailer of hunting, fishing, boating and other outdoor recreation merchandise.
GIS & Market Analyst
- Implemented GIS functionality into the Market Research and Analysis Department influencing key decisions in real estate, advertising and marketing with informed geographic data.
- Interpreted demographic trends to drive successful marking campaigns and real estate investments.
- Analyzed historic trends in corporate data around retail sales, direct mail campaigns, eCommerce and online advertising to predict ROI of present & future marketing strategies.
- Designed and executed data queries on large enterprise data warehouse to advance prioritization & optimization.
- Maintained and updated competitor location and data information within GIS environments.
- Created automation process for basic map building and key large market profiles.
- Conducted data mining activities across publicly available databases including US & International Censuses, CDC and Fishing, Hunting & Wildlife Survey. Expertly located relevant data sets at lowest cost.
- Built effective data-driven presentations for executive leadership, team members and external client audiences.
North American Breweries – Buffalo, New York 2011
Headquartered in Rochester, NAB owns and operates four US breweries & four retail locations in NY, VT, OR & WA.
- Mined data and compiled relevant analyses for presentations.
- Contributed to a research project analyzing the effect of weather patterns on beer sales
Bowling Green State University – Bowling Green, Ohio
Bachelor of Arts, Cum Laude & Dean’s List
Major: Geography – Geographic Information Systems
Niagara County Community College – Sanborn, New York
Associate in Arts, Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society
Major: Liberal Arts – Humanities & Social Science
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND HOBBIES/INTERESTS
Professional Development, Conferences & Achievements
- Member, NYS GIS Association
- Computing for Data Analysis, John Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (Coursera.org) – April 2013
- GIS and Public Health Workshop, University of Albany – April 2013
- GIS/SIG Conference, Rochester, NY – April 2013
- Pitney Bowes Insights User Conference – May 2010
- Geospatial Summit – NYS GIS Association – 2007, 2012
- MapInfo Webinars
- Awarded Eagle Scout – Eagle Project: Created 800-record database of gravestones in historic Sweeney Cemetery located in North Tonawanda, NY for use by the North Tonawanda Town Historian, Niagara County Genealogical Society and the North Tonawanda Library.
Hobbies & Interests
- Discovering new music
- Trivia and pop culture minutiae
- Scouting activities
- Jedi and Sith family trees
- Borderline obsessed with professional and indie wrestling
- Olympic hopeful in Rap Battles
List of Software and Technology
While The Map Nerd is your personal guide to your geographic data, every soothsayer needs an array of tools to do their best. Luckily, The Map Nerd’s got a well-stocked arsenal of analytic tools to match the unparalleled map wizardry.
Maptitude – GIS software from Caliper, Inc. Easily the most cost-effective GIS program on the market, and tailor-made for economic and real estate analysis. The Map Nerd’s ace-in-the-pocket.
ESRI ArcGIS – The pioneers of GIS, and largest GIS company in the world. In fact, if you’ve seen GIS in action, it was most likely ESRI. Incredibly powerful, but often cost prohibitive for individuals and small businesses. Consider it The Map Nerd’s value-added tool.
Pitney Bowes Mapinfo – Another great GIS program, typically reserved for larger companies with full-time GIS specialists. Fortunately, The Map Nerd considers it standard fare in the array.
Sites USA – An older GIS program, focusing on commercial real-estate.
Idrisi Remote Sensing – Idrisi is rarely seen outside of academic environments, and specifically designed to display and manipulate data from satellites and airplanes.
SQL – SQL is the language of relational databases, a.k.a., how The Map Nerd extracts information from large data sets, or combines two separate data sets that share a common field.
SAS – SAS allows interaction with data warehouses that contain millions of records, and is widely used by large companies to analyze their internal data.
Google Earth – Good ol’ Google Earth: GIS for the people. The most widely used and easily understood instance of GIS. Frankly, Google Earth is an incredible tool that happens to be both free and under utilized.